Tuesday, November 16, 2010

My Experience As a Paranormal Investigator





My Experience As a Paranormal Investigator

Saturday night, my friend Dayna and I spent some time with the guys and gals of Oh-Mi Paranormal, tromping through what was once the site of the Battle of Frenchtown, where 397 United States forces were killed by a British – Indian coalition.

We battled rain, passing trains, and occasional road noise, but otherwise encountered nothing I would classify as paranormal. While I didn't find any ghosts, I did gain a great deal of insight and appreciation for what paranormal investigators do and their reasons behind it.

The story was familiar, each member I asked recited a similar story: some time in their past, each had a paranormal experience that they were helpless to explain. The ordeal was enough to drive them to seek out what it was they encountered, to understand the nature of the phenomenon that they experienced. For founder Ryan Sparks, this personal quest is secondary to his main goal: helping others who are confused or frightened by what they perceive to be paranormal experiences in their own lives.

Ryan explained to me that about 80% of their cases are solved and are not paranormal. Ryan cited prescription drug induced hallucinations, gas leaks, old furnaces, and even clients using LSD and other mind altering drugs. Ryan doesn't get disappointed when the result of his investigations reveal a worldly explanation for the problems facing his clients, he's just happy to help.

As for the actual investigation, I found it to be a bit dull when compared to the Ghost Hunters or some of the other TV paranormal investigators. I guess I should’ve expected that when a 12 hour night is compressed to a 30-minute TV-recap, the parts where they wait for the spirits to manifest are cut out. We did some EVP work, and took a nice walk through the field to try and talk to some of the soldiers that may be lingering there, but our efforts were for naught. Of course, that didn't mean I didn't have a fun time and good experience.

I found that the paranormal investigators were very down to earth people, with rich full lives and close friendships. Each of the people I talked to that night credit paranormal investigations as creating the best friendships of their lives.

Like any community, the investigators seemed to like to talk about other (friendly) rival groups, the latest discoveries or encounters, and their place within the overall culture of the paranormal. Debate topics ranged from whether they would seek an alliance with a TV show ghost hunting team, to whether or not ghosts can see 'ghosts' of us (in a cross-dimensional time travel sort of way).

I learned a lot about paranormal investigations, but more importantly, perhaps, what drives a paranormal investigator. I learned that the mechanics behind the members of a ghost hunting community are similar as those around a book club or baking group: to seek companionship and conversation with like minded people in an effort to enhance their understanding of their particular field of interest, their community, and society at large.

I'd like to thank Ryan and the rest of his team at OH-MI Paranormal for extending me the courtesy of an invitation to join them on their latest investigation. Please check out their website and facebook page.

Facebook Group

7 comments:

  1. Since this is my first post, please leave constructive feedback on what you liked or would like more of.

    Thanks for reading!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written. As both a former college English writing tutor & a person with an interest in paranormal activity/research, I think you did a wonderful job with the post. Thanks for taking the time to share your experience & observations.

    I actually wound up here b/c Ryan Sparks emailed the link to members of the FB "OH-MI paranormal" group, so thank you Ryan!

    Have you been to the OSR in Mansfield? My lil sis had her wedding reception in the Guard Room there. I was alone in the place for a while as we were setting up the day before. Nothing terribly scary in the middle of the afternoon, but I'll just say I don't think the place is ever "quiet". OSR had one of their overnight ghost hunts when we finished setting up. They said it was a really good one & thanked us the next day for "stirring things up." lol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jen,

    Thanks for the support. I haven't been anywhere, including Mansfield. This was my first ghost hunt :)

    May do one in the future though, and I've heard Mansfield is at least one of the coolest places in our area.

    Ryan and OH-MI were great, and I really appreciated them having me out.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen and John,


    We are actually planning on going on an overnight ghost hunt in June to the Mansfield prison, we toured it this year and its all we had time for, we were booked with cases. I think it will be quite a good case, a few of our members have been there before. Saw Shadows, Caught EVPS, cold spots, been touched, full body aparitions and ghostly photos.

    Ryan Sparks
    OHMI Paranormal - Lead Investigator/Founder
    (Ohio and Michigan Investigation and Research)
    http://www.freewebs.com/teamhuntingevidenceofparanormal

    ***John you are welcome to come along if you would like in June.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I seen that monster can in the shot! lol was there by chance a BFJ involved to invoke the spirits?! good blog man I like the concept!

    ReplyDelete
  6. @John You are quite welcome. I'll say again, it is well written. You were clear, concise, & I didn't really have more questions after reading your initial post. Great job!

    If you'd like to send me a FR on FB, just be sure to add a brief note, so I know who you are.

    @Brandon Good eye on the Monster can. lol

    @Ryan I would LOVE to go with you guys in June! Please let me know the date/time & anything that is relevant including cost, etc. I will ask off work ASAP if I am scheduled. :)

    My lil sis would be VERY interested as well. She sees enough everyday weird stuff as a Juvenile PO (parole officer), & yet is still very interested in paranormal occurrences. She has been in OSR a few times, & is more familiar with it than the average bird.

    I'm also interested in investigations other than OSR. Like most folks who are drawn to these things, I've had my share of "odd" experiences, but I've never been along on an actual investigation. Anything before OSR would be great, so I wouldn't be a complete newb come June. :) I'm a 2nd/3rd shifter, so I'm used to being up till dawn. lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks Brandon, hopefully I'll be doing all sorts of fun and unique things.

    Thanks Jen, I'll be sending you a request momentarily.

    ReplyDelete